“How do I deal with pimples on my butt?”
“What is causing my back to breakout?”
“How do I permanently get rid of butt and back acne?”
Do any of these questions sound familiar? We’re now a month into 2020, but that doesn’t mean that the same old butt-and-back acne questions still aren’t plaguing you. Whether your body acne is recurring, is worsening, or simply isn’t going away, body acne is embarrassing at the best of times and is—at worst—painful. But what causes body acne, and how can you banish it for good?
Today, we’ll be covering the likeliest reasons why you’re dealing with body acne, as well as how we can ensure that you can leave it in the past long-term.
What Are the Main Causes of Body Acne?
Firstly, let’s address a common misconception: there’s body acne, and then there’s folliculitis. Folliculitis, a condition that arises from inflammation of the follicle and appears as acne-like red bumps or itchy pustules, is resistant against acne-clearing products due to it being caused by fungus rather than bacteria. The two are often mistaken as the same condition due to their similar appearances, so be sure to have your skin examined by your Clear Skin Solutions Skin Therapist to guarantee that you are treating the correct condition.
The most frequent culprits behind butt and back pimples are as follows:
- Wearing non-breathable fabrics that trap sweat
- Not changing out of workout clothes immediately after your workout is complete
- The carrying of backpacks or shoulder pads, which put pressure on your back and, through friction, cause acne
- Using oil-based moisturizers, sunscreen, or cosmetics on your buttocks or back
- Medications such as androgens or lithium
- Fabric softeners, as the dyes and/or fragrance can irritate sensitive skin
“But what if what I thought was butt and body acne really is folliculitis?” you may be asking. If that’s the case, then the most common causes behind folliculitis flare-ups on the butt or back are:
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Wearing tight clothing
- Lack of exfoliation
- A history of ingrown hairs
- Being overweight or acne-prone
So What Can I Do to Avoid Breakouts on my Back and Buttocks?
Luckily, there are a variety of product, diet, and lifestyle swaps you can make to reduce or eliminate your body acne. We at Clear Skin Solutions recommend:
- Decreasing your stress levels
- Wearing breathable fabrics and changing your clothes immediately after working out
- Focusing on getting quality sleep
- Using acne-oriented, anti-fungal cleansers
- Swapping out high-glycemic foods for heart-healthy, antioxidant-rich foods
- Specialized acne treatments
Easier said than done? We agree, which is where our Clear Skin Solutions Skin Therapists come in. Whether you’re fighting back pimples, butt pimples, or even folliculitis, our specialists don’t stop at proven acne treatments: whether you live here in Ardmore, Oklahoma, or anywhere else around the globe, our skin consultations fit you with our Hydration Starter Kit, daily how-to’s on how to tackle your specific skin needs, and, of course, periodic skin strategy adjustments as your condition of your skin changes. Tailored skin care samples will also be shipped to your doorstep for you to test and add active ingredients to your homecare routine.
“Nyki,” I can hear you say, “what if I’m just looking for one or two products to add to my homecare routine to target my body acne?” My first piece of advice is to choose a product containing L-mandelic acid: since L-mandelic acid is both antibacterial and antifungal, it is effective for the treatment of both acne and folliculitis.
Unsure which L-mandelic acid-based products to choose? We pride ourselves in science-backed skin solutions for every skin condition, including acne. Our top three body acne solutions that we offer both in-spa and on our online store are:
- Our Mandelic Cleanser: our lightest AHA cleansing gel, this mandelic acid-based cleanser is tailored to those with oily, blemish-prone, sensitive, photoaged, sensitive, and/or uneven skin tones. The result? Toned, hydrated skin freed of impurities.
- Renewal Serum 10%: made with true L-mandelic acid, this serum works quickly and effectively at neutralizing fungal bacteria, reducing Tyrosinase expression, and diminishing bacteria at the pores’ openings.
- Renewal Serum 15%: a serum specially designed to exfoliate away dead skin cells, target acne, reduce pigmentation, and leave skin looking and feeling its smoothest, this serum—formulated with mandelic acid, lactic acid, and niacinamide— multi-tasks to both protect and renew the skin.
Have any more questions on how to banish your butt and body acne for good? Book an appointment with our team today!