Alright, y’all: are you ready for our list of sunscreen non-negotiables?
As an anti-aging skincare must, sunscreen is an overlooked, under-utilized, and, frankly, underappreciated component of any skincare arsenal!
Without further ado, let’s jump into why following the sunscreen non-negotiables below will transform your anti-aging skincare regimen for the better:
Sunscreen Tip #1: Understand Why Sunscreen Protects Against Premature Aging (and Acne!)
The link between lifestyle and both acne and anti-aging is strong… which is why understanding why sunscreen protects premature aging and acne is so crucial!
External factors have long been linked to extrinsic aging. Meaning? Contrary to popular belief, aging isn’t simply due to the passage of time: both internal and external factors such as diet, sun exposure, nicotine, a chronic lack of sleep, stress, and pollution all play significant roles in the acceleration of your skin’s aging process.
The biggest culprit of all external factors is, as you’ve likely guessed, sun exposure! In fact, a French study found that 80% of all extrinsic aging was linked to sun exposure.
(If that doesn’t make you want to start slathering on the sunscreen, we aren’t sure what will!)
Sunscreen Tip #2: Application is the “Location, Location, Location” of Sunscreen Usage
Are you applying sunscreen properly?
Chances are the answer is, “Probably not!”
Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher daily
- Yes, even if you’re inside or if it’s overcast!
- Reapply in two-hour intervals; more frequently if you are swimming, sweating, or otherwise active
- Remember to apply to hard-to-reach places such as the back of your neck, your ears, and your hairline
- Wear protective clothing, hats, and sunglasses to provide an extra layer of protection from aging UV rays
You will be at heightened risk of sun damage if you classify as any of the following:
- Having pale skin
- Having blond, red, or light brown hair
Having skin cancer (or having previously had skin cancer)
- Alternatively, having a family history of skin cancer
Sunscreen Tip #3: Opt for Skin Therapist-Approved Sunscreen
Not all sunscreens are equal.
To ensure that your sunscreens are rich in nutrients, SPF protection, and both anti-aging and anti-acne ingredients, opt for one of the following Clear Skin Solutions-approved sunscreens:
- The EltaMD UV Sheer Broad Spectrum SPF 50+: This lightweight, easily-portable facial sunscreen offers up to 80 minutes of sweat and water-resistance, making it the ideal choice for those with an active lifestyle!
- The EltaMD UV Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 46: The oil-free EltaMD UV Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 46 helps calm and protect sensitive skin types prone to discoloration and breakouts associated with acne and rosacea. It contains niacinamide (vitamin B3), hyaluronic acid, and lactic acid. Choose from either tinted or untinted formulas for maximum versatility!
- The Clear Skin Solutions Protection E & C Lightly Tinted SPF 40: This replenishing SPF 40 not only offers broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection, but also aids in the repair of existing damage and long-lasting moisturization… all while doubling as a primer for long-lasting foundation, even on humid summer days.
- The Clear Skin Solutions Moisturizing Protection SPF 30: Moisturizing yet non-greasy, protect your skin from the sun while replenishing with this ultra-hydrating SPF.
- The Clear Skin Solutions Ultra Tinted Protection SPF 40: Need buildable coverage to smooth over fine lines, wrinkles, acne, and/or acne scars? Then the Clear Skin Solutions Ultra Tinted Protection SPF 40 is the sunscreen for you!
- The Solar MD Matte Zinc SPF 50: This medical-grade facial broad spectrum sunscreen is formulated with zinc oxide, is hypoallergenic, and is non-comedogenic… making it a must-have for any and all sensitive skin types!
Ready for the Best Skin of Your Life? Thank Sunscreen!
Contact us here at Clear Skin Solutions today to learn how proper sunscreen usage can be combined with science-backed lifestyle changes, dietary tweaks, and at-home skincare regimen guidance to result in the best skin of your life.